How to Generate Custom Audiences
Learn how to generate Custom Audiences automatically with this step-by-step guide
Custom Audiences Overview
Custom Audiences enable you to target an existing audience of people who performed a specific action — on your website, Facebook page, or Instagram profile — among other people on Facebook platforms.
On the Ads Manager interface, Custom Audiences are created before a campaign.
This is not the case for the Facebook Ads Retargeting app.
Custom Audiences are generated automatically during campaign creation.
If you prefer to test or create Custom Audiences ahead of time, follow the steps below.
1. Select a Template
To create a Custom Audience, choose a pre-built audience template from the following:
Note: You can customize your template in the next step using the Audience builder.
- Customers From Your Orders, to include customers based on your Shopify store orders.
- All Website Visitors, to include all your website visitors who visited any page of your website without purchasing a product
- Visitors Who Added a Product To Cart, to include visitors who added a product to their cart but did not purchase
- Visitors Who Reached Checkout, to include visitors who reached checkout but did not purchase
- Hesitating Visitors, including visitors who checked your website at least twice without purchasing
- Deep Browsers, to include the top 25% of prospects that spent the most time on your website
- Visited a Page URL, to include prospects who visited a specific page on your website.
- All Video Watchers, to include people who viewed at least 10 seconds of the video or videos you chose
- Moderate Video Watchers, to include people who viewed at least 25% of the video or videos you chose
- Interested Video Watchers, to include people who viewed at least 50% of the video or videos you chose
- Super Interested Video Watchers, to include people who viewed at least 75% of the video or videos you chose
- Obsessed Video Watchers, to include people who completed watching the video or videos you chose.
Facebook Page Engagement
- Everyone, to include all the people that interacted with your page
- Engaged With a Page Post, to include the people that engaged with any page post or ad on your page
- Click a Call To Action Button, to include the people that clicked a call to action button on your page
- Sent a Message To Your Page, to include the people who started a conversation with your page through Messenger
- Saved Your” Page or a Page Post, to include the people who saved your entire Facebook page or page post.
Instagram Profile Engagement
- Everyone, to include all the people who interacted with your Instagram profile
- Visited Your Profile, to include the people who visited your Instagram profile
- Engaged With a Post or Ad on Your Profile, to include the people who engaged with a post or ad on your profile
- Sent a Message To Your Profile, to include the people who sent a direct message to your Instagram profile
- Saved Your Profile or Post, to include the people who saved your profile or post.
2. Customize Template
After selecting a template, use the Audience Builder to customize your Custom Audiences with filters such as:
- Include people who performed a specific action recorded on a specific Pixel, Facebook account, or Instagram profile.
- Exclude people who performed a specific action recorded on a specific Pixel, Facebook account, or Instagram profile.
- Refine people by time spent on your website, frequency of visits, and device type.
- Set the time frame from which you want to retract Pixel data.
- Name the Custom Audience you’ve just created.
Click the Create Custom Audiences button.
You'll be redirected to the History tab, where you can view your Custom audience's creation status.
Note: Once a Custom Audience is created, they'll be saved to your ad account. You can use them any time. The Facebook Ads Retargeting app does not delete your custom audiences in the case of plan cancellation.